Images from The Utley Virtual
Natural Trumpet in D by Johann Wilhelm Haas,
Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1710-1720
NMM 7212. Natural trumpet in D by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1710-1720. Five-piece brass body, held together by five ferrules of alternating length (long, short, long, short, long) and a wooden block with red binding and tassels. Overlapping tab seam (width of tabs 3 mm at a distance of 3 mm). Nürnberg rim, wire embossed with leaf and dot pattern. Joe R. and Joella F. Utley Collection, 1999.
Engraved on bell garland: IOHANN / WILHELM / HAAS / NURNBERG and [forward leaping hare facing left] IWH
The master's mark, a leaping hare facing left and hinting at the maker’s name (Hase = hare), identifies the instrument to be the product of Johann Wilhelm Haas (1649-1723), the founder of the most famous Nürnberg trumpet workshop. The trumpet bears no date of manufacture. Since Haas made virtually no design changes during his career, the instrument could have been made anytime between 1676 and 1723. The city inspection mark, N, approving good quality, is stamped on the garland next to the wire affixing the first bow.
Helical fluting ferrules of folded sheet metal, surrounded by two embossed wire rings (similar to the bell wire), impressed and engraved lines, and one embossed ring of larger size. The ferrule edge facing the bell is serrated to fit tight against the tubing.
Garland decorated with scallop shells (outlines punched from the front and raised with spherical punch from the back) and four cast angel heads with broad wings.
The angel heads divide the garland into four sections; the fields in between are engraved with the signature, the maker's mark, a tulip, and a pomegranate with leaves (clockwise).
Cast ball with three male faces soldered onto a sheet metal sleeve with serrated edges and engravings in flame and beam pattern.
The three figures on the ball show distinct physiognomies: one has a broad nose, fleshy lips and curly hair, apparently representing an African (left); the other two have pointed head gear and a beard and seem to represent Europeans (right). These figures presumably symbolize the three Wise Men from the East, adoring the infant, Jesus. They supplement the angels that decorate the garland.
Side view of cast ball
Brass mouthpiece with deep cup (not original). Shanks and crooks missing.
Sounding length: 2180 mm; internal diameter receiver: 11.7 mm; internal diameter receiver minimum (at ca. 26 mm): 10.9 mm; bell diameter: 112 mm.
Sabine Klaus, "Haas & Haas: A Miniature Horn and a Natural Trumpet from the Most Famous Nürnberg Workshop," America’s Shrine to Music Museum Newsletter 28, No. 2 (May 2001), pp. 4-5.
arrow to continue Utley Virtual Gallery Tour
Go to Utley Virtual Gallery Tour Index
Go to Virtual Gallery Tour Index
Go to Checklist of European Brass Instruments
Made Before 1800
Go to Checklist of Natural Trumpets Made in the Imperial City of Nürnberg Before 1800
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069