Images from The Music Man Exhibition
Normaphon by Heber Workshop, Markneukirchen, ca. 1930
NMM 1525. Tenor Normaphon by Heber Workshop, Markneukirchen,
Germany, ca. 1930. Board of Trustees, 1977.
The Normaphon was invented by Richard Oskar Heber (1872-1938)
of Markneukirchen, according to Ines Ann Heber, the great-granddaughter
of the inventor. Between 1924-1930, Heber built the Normaphon in four
sizes (the tenor, seen here, was the most common size) working in a
shop with only five or six employees. According to Ines Ann Heber, approximately
100 Normaphons were produced.
It was a common practice, at the time, for wholesalers
of Normaphons, such as C. A. Wunderlich, R. O. Adler, Ammon Gläser,
and M. J. Kalashen, to engrave their own names on the instruments, instead
of the name of the instrument's inventor and maker.
arrow to continue Tour of The Music Man Exhibition
Go to The Music Man Exhibition Tour Index
Go to Virtual Gallery Tour Index
A postcard of the Normaphon is available from the
Note: This Normaphon is on permanent display in the
Know the Territory: The Musical Journey of Meredith Willson," designed and installed by the
National Music Museum in 2002 for the Meredith
Willson Museum in Mason City, Iowa.
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD   57069