National Music Museum Logo   National Music Museum  
Home  Collections
Virtual Tour
Calendar Gift Shop FAQ Site Index Maker Index

 

Natural Trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas,
Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1710-1720

Note: Click on any image below to see a larger image.

NMM 3601.  Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nuremberg, ca. 1710-1720 NMM 3601.  Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nuremberg, ca. 1710-1720 NMM 3601.  Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nuremberg, ca. 1710-1720 NMM 3601.  Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nuremberg, ca. 1710-1720 NMM 3601.  Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nuremberg, ca. 1710-1720

NMM 3601. Natural trumpet by Johann Wilhelm Haas, Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1710-1720. Brass. Restored by Ursula Menzel, Munich, 1984. Board of Trustees, 1985.


Maker's Signature on Bell Garland

Maker's signature Maker's mark

Engraved on bell garland: IOHANN / WILHELM / HAAS, NÜRNBERG. Master's mark:  IWH / [rabbit facing left with front feet off ground].



Additional Views of Bell Garland and Bell Rim

Bell garland

Cast angel on bell garland Cast angel on garland

Cast angel on garland Cast angel on bell garland

Four cast angel's heads applied to bell garland. Engraving between angels includes maker's signature, master's mark, a pomegranate, and a tulip. Nürnberg rim; cast rim wire with floral dot-and-leaf pattern identical with NMM 7212.


Scallop Shell Edging on Bell Garland

Off-center, scallop shell edging on garland

Scallop shell decoration stamped from the front and raised with spherical punch tool from the back. Several punch marks are not centered within the scallops, as seen in example above.



Ferrules

Ferrule Ferrule Ferrule Ferrule Ferrule

Helical, fluted ferrules; each ferrule facing the bell is serrated at the end. Decoration consists of two engraved and one impressed line, with rings of cast wire (similar to bell-rim wire); larger cast wire includes images of grapes, apples, and pears.


Cast Ball and Sleeves

Ball and sleeves

An African Face

Cast ball faces

Two Caucasian Faces

Cast ball faces Cast ball faces

Cast ball with three male faces, including two Caucasian faces with pointed head gear (close-ups of face 1 and face 2) and one African face. Figures similar, but not identical with NMM 7212. Sleeve with serrated ends and engraved flame-and-beam pattern.

Cast ball decoration Cast ball decoration


Views of Binding Ring

Ring, view 1 Ring, view 2


Bell Interior and Detail of Tab Seam

Bell interior

Bell interior

Bell interior showing tab seam

Tab seam visible in bell interior


Reproduction Mouthpiece

Mouthpiece Mouthpiece

Reproduction brass mouthpiece copied from an original made in 1730.



Measurements

Sounding length:  2100 mm; body length: 700 mm; bell diameter:  111 mm.



Literature

"1985 Acquisitions at USD Music Museum," Newsletter of the American Musical Instrument Society 15, No. 1 (February 1986), p. 8.

Margaret Downie Banks, "17th-and 18th-Century Brass Instruments at The Shrine to Music Museum," Brass Bulletin 58, No. 2 (1987), pp. 52-54 and 56.

André P. Larson, The National Music Museum: A Pictorial Souvenir (Vermillion: National Music Museum, 1988), p. 34.

David Schulenberg, Music of the Baroque (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001), p. 270.

Mary Oleskiewicz, "The Rise of Italian Chamber Music," Chapter Three in The World of Baroque Music:  New Perspectives, edited by George B. Stauffer (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006), p. 50 and plate 10.

Paul Voet, De Eeuwigheid van Trompetten en Trompetters: Ontstaan en Evolutie (Wormerveer, The Netherlands: Molenaar Edition BV, 2006), p. 118, fig. 78.

Go to Checklist of Natural Trumpets Made in the Imperial City of Nürnberg Before 1800

Go to Checklist of Brass Instruments Made Before 1800

National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD   57069

©National Music Museum, 2007
Most recent update:   September 18, 2007
You are the visitor to this page since September 17, 2007.

The University of South Dakota
Return to Top of Page