|Home||Collections||Calendar||Gift Shop||FAQ||Site Index||Maker Index|
Imperial City of Nürnberg, ca. 1690-1710
City of Nürnberg
The Beschauzeichen or inspection mark, [City of Nürnberg coat-of-arms] / N, stamped onto the trumpet certifies the quality of the instrument. This could be interpreted in two ways: 1) the overall quality of the instrument was found to be good and/or 2) the solder used was "good hard solder" with a comparatively low zinc content.
The relatively simple engraving was probably done in Haas' workshop, rather than by a professional engraver. The simple, machine-rolled, wire rim was likely purchased directly from a wire drawers' shop.
"1985 Acquisitions at USD Music Museum," Newsletter of the American Musical Instrument Society 15, No. 1 (February 1986), p. 8.
Margaret Downie Banks, "17th-and 18th-Century Brass Instruments at The Shrine to Music Museum," Brass Bulletin 58, No. 2 (1987), pp. 52-54 and 56.
André P. Larson, The National Music Museum: A Pictorial Souvenir (Vermillion: National Music Museum, 1988), pp. 34-35.
David Schulenberg, Music of the Baroque (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001), p. 270.
Mary Oleskiewicz, "The Rise of Italian Chamber Music," Chapter Three in The World of Baroque Music: New Perspectives, edited by George B. Stauffer (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006), p. 50 and plate 10.
Paul Voet, De Eeuwigheid van Trompetten en Trompetters: Ontstaan en Evolutie (Wormerveer, The Netherlands: Molenaar Edition BV, 2006), p. 118, fig. 78.