Images from the Second Floor Hallway
Ludwig's Black Beauty Snare Drum, 1920-1925
Side view of NMM 7449. Snare drum by Ludwig &
Chicago, 1920-1925. An early example of Ludwig's Deluxe
Standard model No. 1c, popularly known as the Black Beauty model.
Two-piece gunmetal shell, engraved in scroll pattern, 5" x
14". Separate (double) tension. Eight tube lugs. Flat
metal rims (hoops) with hooks. Pioneer model strainer.Gift of
Arlo Wirth, Hartington, Nebraska, 1999.
"A Vintage 'Black Beauty' Rolls Out of the Closet"
By Dr. Margaret Downie Banks, Curator of Musical
America's Shrine to Music Museum Newsletter,
XXVII, No. 2 (May 2000), p. 5.
It was a lucky day for Arlo E. Wirth (July 25,
1919-March 4, 2000) of
Hartington, Nebraska, when Chuck Stastny, of Mollet's Music Store in
Yankton, South Dakota, recognized "an old snare drum" brought in for minor
repairs, as an example of the so-called "Black Beauty" model made by
Ludwig and Ludwig of Chicago between 1920-1925. Although Wirth had
already sold the drum to a local family simply looking for a "used snare
drum," the instrument was generously returned to Wirth when he suggested
that he would like to donate it to National Music Museum.
Arlo's oldest brother, Bill, acquired the drum as a
instrument "about 1929 or 1930." He played it in the Nebraska City High
School Band and the Talmage, Nebraska, Town Band, "until sometime in the
mid- to late 1930s." The drum languished for several years before it was
passed down to his sister, Lois Ann (Wirth) Davia. Subsequently, she
played it in the Dunbar, Nebraska, High School Band and the Syracuse,
Nebraska, Town Band. With the latter group, Lois and the snare drum
"accompanied Frank Sorrell of Syracuse on his unsuccessful campaign for
the governorship of the State of Nebraska." Lois abandoned the "Black
Beauty" for a "marching" snare drum when she played with the University of
Nebraska Varsity Marching Band in the early 1940s. After spending some
forty years in the William J. Wirth family closet in Dunbar, the drum was
offered to Arlo and his wife, Anne (1926-February 7, 2000), who continued
preserve it in their closet for another twenty years, until discovering
its value as an historic artifact late in 1999.
The snare drum was authenticated by vintage drum
Cook, of Alma, Michigan, who noted that "it features an engraving pattern
referred to by collectors as the 'scroll' or 'ocean wave' pattern. This
model is significantly rarer than the later models [appearing after 1925]
which were catalogued as Black Beauties and featured the floral or leaf
patterns." The drum shell is made of spun brass plated with a gunmetal
finish of black nickel. It was lacquered after being engraved to protect
the contrasting color of the brass against the black nickel background.
The drum's fittings were originally finished with a simulated gold plating
known as "Artgold."
Click arrow to return to beginning of
Tour of Exhibits in Lobby, Hallways, Concert
Hall, and Tea Room
Go to Exhibits in Lobby,
Hallways, Concert Hall, and Tea Room Tour
Go to Virtual
Go to Checklist of Snare Drums Made by
National Music Museum
The University of South Dakota
414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD 57069